The work of the Department of Ukrainian Studies and Latin is based on the traditions of Kharkiv Imperial University, in which Latin was one of the languages of study. The Department of Foreign Languages was founded at Kharkov Pharmaceutical Institute, founded in 1921, and Latin was taught there. In 1992, the Latin section was transformed into a separate department headed by Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor Yevgeniia Svitlychna.
Currently, 6 normative disciplines are taught at the Department of Ukrainian Studies and Latin:
«Latin and Medical terminology»,
«Ukrainian and Culture of Ukraine»,
«Ukrainian (for professional purposes)»,
«Ukrainian» for higher education foreign applicants with English, Ukrainian and Russian languages of study,
2 elective courses:
«The Culture of Scientific Language»,
«History of the Modern World».
The results of the research work of the department teachers are reflected in numerous methodical articles and recommendations, manuals, textbooks, and monographs. The vast majority of the department's editions have the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health of Ukraine stamps. Since 1998 to 2003 the department was the basic one in the system of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in the discipline «Latin» for higher education institutions, and since 2003 it has been the basic one in the discipline «Ukrainian». Personnel potential of the department is 12 teachers (8 of which have a Ph.D. degree) and 2 laboratory assistants, 1 doctoral and 1 candidate dissertations are being prepared.